Tinolang Tahong (Mussel Stew with Ginger)

Good day darlings! I was craving for some sea foods the other day so we woke up super early for the morning market.  I love going to the market.  The produce are fresh plus the prices are unbelievably cheap compared to supermarkets and grocery stores where the meats and fish are usually frozen.  You can always find a suki (regular/favorite vendor) by buying whatever they are selling more frequently and they would give it to you for an even lower price plus not only do you gain a friend but a mentor on how to spot fresh produce.  We bought some mussels that day because not are they only cheap (40 pesos or 1 U.S. dollar a kilo) but they are also rich source of iron and super yummy.  The husband always cooks mussels this way.  No fancy ingredients, simple, and super delicious :)



Let's get started!  You will need basically only four ingredients:
1.  Sprite or 7Up
2.  Mussels(cleaned and debearded)
3.  Ginger, sliced
4.  Onions, sliced
*You will also need some salt and cooking oil.

In a pan, saute your onions and ginger.  Wait until the onions are translucent and the ginger has released its aroma.  The ginger will help remove the malansa (fishy) smell from the mussels.

Next add in the mussels.  I like my mussels a bit smaller than the usual.  In my opinion, they are tastier than the bigger ones.  Make sure it is washed and debearded.  We do not want eating those beards or sand or grit.  Also, discard any uncooked mussels that are open.  These are not fresh and not appropriate for consumption.  You can ask your suki to clean and debeard the mussels for you (one of the perks of having a suki)or learn how to debeard mussels here.

Next, once the mussels have opened, add in the Sprite or 7Up.  You can only use lemon flavored soda for this recipe.  I do not who invented this recipe but what I do know is he or she is a genius!  I love the sweet taste which perfectly matches the slight saltiness of the mussels.  Just let the Sprite or 7Up simmer for a few minutes until it reduced to have its original amount then add some salt to adjust to your taste and you are done!

You can now enjoy your mussels! Super simple, super nutritious, plus super cheap recipe.

Hope you liked it :)  For my next post, I will be teaching you what to do to leftover mussels :)
Have a great weekend!

Facebook Pinteret StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Digg Email
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

30 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, love most things with ginger :o) Xx

    Makeup by Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should try it some time charlotte. thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wahhh!! Spirte with mussels!! It sounds very interesting! I shall give this a go one day~~
    Thanks for sharing the recipe with us Angel~~<3

    -Miss Sennnaa
    BLOG: http://miss-sennnaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, so easy too! i love how the sprite gives it some sweetness ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting. But I don't really like sea food. Actually I have never eaten ;-)
    Kisses from Kenya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good recipe! We use stock for the liquid portion of our tinolang tahong but we cook with Sprite for our shrimps. Good stuff!

    The Mrs. Diaz Chronicle
    Maita Atienza Makeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is that nilasing na hipon? i love shrimps!

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favorites. Easy to cook and simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! perfect for busy mommies and moms on a budget.

      Delete
  6. I like to keep the shells from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pretty colors, isn't eat? kinda remind me of peacocks too!

      Delete
  7. I'm not one for seafood but you seem to know what you are doing! :-)

    Have a fantastic day,
    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like seafood but i really like these pictures. xo

    http://fleuryina.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa this is such an amazing recipe! Many thanks for sharing it with us! I will try it right after I get back from my vacation as it looks very good!

    www.callmemaddie.com
    Win a $100 gift card from Jollychic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you maddie :) would love to know if you liked it :)

      Delete
  10. Hello, thanks for the comment I am already following the blog!
    I love clam :)
    kisses

    http://retromaggie.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  11. These pictures made me hungryyyy how could youuu :( hahhaha

    xx
    christineadelina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG... tahong! One of my favorite dishes ever. I like how you've introduced an interesting twist by adding Sprite to it. Hmmm, mai-suggest nga sa sister ko. Hehe. Seafoods are <3!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! its so weird u cook it with 7up or sprite! :D

    xoxo

    Novelstyle

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment below and let me know what you think. please put your blog link so i can visit your blog :) thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...