How To Cut Hair in Layers (Maintenance for My Curly Hair)

How are you my dear readers?    You all know that I hate wasting money on things that I can do myself.  Here's another trick that I have been practicing for so many years that I practically have never been in a salon for I don't know the last time when.  The last time was when used to have my naturally curly hair chemically straightened, but not anymore.  I learned to love my curls.  Yes, they may not be perfect but I just love them now.  They're easier to manage than my super stiff, lifeless, and boring straight hair.  For my "trims," I do this trick about once a month just to get rid of the dry ends and I found that this method of cutting hair is perfect for my curly hair.  Layers give more dimension, volume, and style to my curls.  Here's how I do it.
How To Cut Hair in Layers (Maintenance for My Curly Hair)

You will need the following:
1.  Hair elastics
2.  A pair of sharp hair cutting scissors
3.  A comb
How To Cut Hair in Layers (Maintenance for My Curly Hair)
The first step is to prepare your hair.  Here, I just washed and conditioned my hair and let it air dry.  Just shampoo and condition as usual then wait until it is 80% to 90% dry.
How To Cut Hair in Layers (Maintenance for My Curly Hair)
Next, get a comb then bring all your hair forward.  Flipping them all to the front reminds me of Sadako from The Ring. He he he.
How To Cut Hair in Layers (Maintenance for My Curly Hair)
Next, gather all of your hair then use a larger hair to tie all of your hair to the front.  Think of it as doing a front pony tail ;)  Trust me, this will work.  This method of cutting was taught to me by the wife of my cousin who is a hair dresser.  She too has gorgeous curls and she trims and maintains her curls this way.
How To Cut Hair in Layers (Maintenance for My Curly Hair)
After you are done tying your "front" pony tail, get two hair elastics.  First, determine how much hair you want to cut then place two elastics near the end of your hair like you see in this photo.  For my trim this month, I am removing only half an inch so I placed the first hair tie about two inches from the end then the bottom hair ties about 1/4 inch from the end.
How To Cut Hair in Layers (Maintenance for My Curly Hair)
Now, all you have to do is cut.  Make sure you have a nice pair of sharp scissors especially made for cutting hair.  Do not use paper/craft scissors or kitchen scissors for this.  We just need on clean cut so make sure your scissors are sharp.  In between the two hair ties, cut your hair, and there, you are done.  If your hair is too thick like mine, just spread the hair, somewhat fanning it, to make sure to cut every single piece of hair.How To Cut Hair in Layers (Maintenance for My Curly Hair)
So there, all you have to do now is to completely dry and style your hair.  This is what my hair looks like afterwards, a bit shorter on the sides and longer at the middle with a slight V taper.
How To Cut Hair in Layers (Maintenance for My Curly Hair)
Hope you enjoy our quick tutorial for today.  Oh, before I forget, this method also works for straight hair so I think everyone can try this.
Enjoy!

Facebook Pinteret StumbleUpon Delicious Reddit Digg Email
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

55 comments:

  1. Hi Gel.. WOW, I envy your hair.. parang marimar lang ang peg, hehehe.. Will try this one to my daughter since we both have curly hair but she has the same length like yours.. loving all your post sis... keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Ganda ng hair :)

    xoxo,
    SHAIRA
    www.missdream-girl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously get scared when going to a salon and having my hair cut but thankfully I've gone to salons in my lifetime but with some anxiety! So I think I'll be dead scared of cutting my own hair! HAHA. You did a great job right there! Gorgeous curls! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! curly hair is very forgiving, that's why malakas ang loob ko dear :) merong uneven, no problem! nde halata :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful hair !
    Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh your hair is so pretty! I love the curls that you have !!
    This is a wonderful tutorial!! You are brave for cutting your own hair!! I cut it myself sometimes, but nothing that crazy.. just a few snips!
    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually cut only about an inch or so of hair ;) thanks dear!

      Delete
  6. "Flip it like Sadako" :))))))))
    I'd like to try this but I think I'm keeping my hair short this year. Nice tips though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a wonderful job, I'm still afraid to do it by myself, haha! ;)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hair is so beautiful!
    Personally, I'm too scared to cut my hair by myself...
    I'm a new follower on Facebook for now :)

    See you Angela xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow very intesting~ This scary me~ But many thanks for the tutorial~
    xx

    www.sakuranko.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'd love to have hair like yours!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely post thanks for sharing. xo

    http://fleuryina.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  12. Galing mo naman sis! I have my hair salon-treated every year. Tapos maintenance ko lg is mousse and oil everyday. Nakakatamad! hehe. Hirap kc hair ko. Limp. Oh well, mabuti ka pa. Able to maintain your own. hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ay thanks sis! i use mousse and oil din pero only when i'm going out.

      Delete
  13. Hey sis! Same curly hair problem. I just hope my curls will be back to its original state as before because of chemical treatments and straightening. Btw, I also did a little trim once in 2 months to prevent dry and split ends. :D Nice job in maintaining your hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks sis :) just let your hair grow back, babalik yan sa dati :) i had my hair straightened and rebonded but not anymore. i embraced being a kulotchina na. hehehe!

      Delete
  14. hi angel! we have same curly hair pala but yours is waaay prettier and tamer, mines naturally sabog and im still learning to maintain it. im thinking of trimming my hair at home too so this was very timely. where did you get your scissors? the ones in natl bookstore arent sharp enough kase :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry sis, super late reply.sa HBC meron silang scissors, pangcut talaga ng hair ;)

      Delete
  15. Nyc job.. I have straight hair.. Can I try this on mine??

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just did it and it worked great with my hair :)...I have strait hair...thx for showing this:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it Smile I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Fast track hairdressing courses & Fast Track Vtct Accredited Hair

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hair treatments are not one-size-fits-all. You want to use the right treatment for the condition of your hair, and that means not guessing at the condition of your hair while standing in a store.

    Best Hair Tranpslant in Haryana

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hairdressing Hairdressing Scissors is a client situated and creative organization anticipating give incredible quality items to the clients while sparing their cash.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shop a great range of professional Hair Cutting Scissors at candure Various colours & styles to choose from with free next day delivery available.

    ReplyDelete
  22. https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=5767646968911347208&postID=1376688985191661302&page=1&token=1537436327297

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am really enjoying reading your well written articles. It looks like you spend a lot of effort and time on your blog. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work.

    girl hair cutting style name

    ReplyDelete
  24. You will also find that the Squeem Compression Vest also reduces your waistline by 1 to 4 inches over the course of 30 days. best trimmer under 1500 rs

    ReplyDelete
  25. On the off chance that an essayist uses any sort of relieving data or actualities, then it prompts put a negative impression to client's mind. It allows to others to raise question on your composition ability. So keep your written work far from questions. Scissors Repair Near Me

    ReplyDelete
  26. Scissor brands for hair I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hairdressing brands I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Nice stuff. I am very glad that I found your blog. hair care products " Keep sharing such kind of useful information. Excellent one. Please write a blog on this topic Barber Scissors & Shears

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is highly informatics, crisp and clear. I think that everything has been described in systematic manner so that reader could get maximum information and learn many things. Unterhaltsreinigung Einbeck

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! Asheville Property Management

    ReplyDelete
  31. best salon in raleigh nc Pinup Studio is a hair salon located in the heart of Raleigh, North Carolina. We offer a full range of services to meet all your beauty needs including; Blowouts, Up-dos, Weddings and special events.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am very enjoyed for this blog. Its an informative topic. It help me very much to solve some problems. Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy. Indyjska-wiza-medyczna

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post. I’ll certainly comeback. Wiza amerykańska online

    ReplyDelete

leave a comment below and let me know what you think. please put your blog link so i can visit your blog :) thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...